Friday, October 19, 2012

Expired flowers in a beautiful vase

I love fresh cut flowers. Especially when they are in my beautiful Kinantu vase on a clean table.  Sometimes I feel like this completely contradicts everything about me, in the sense that generally I like living things better than dead things.  But I love fresh cut flowers.

The flowers on my table are not fresh cut...they are probably about three weeks old, they're dying, if not completely dead.  I didn't take care of them, I don't think I even changed the water once.  And yet, yesterday morning I noticed that among the dead flowers, that desperately need to be thrown out, there was one little bud just starting to open. How? I've done nothing, everything around it is dead, the water hasn't been changed, there might not even be water in the vase for all I know.  And yet life is springing forth, delighting me. In fact it almost delights me more because it seems like a miracle, and I sit in awe.

Sometimes my life feels like expired flowers in a beautiful vase. Sometimes I don't take care of my soul, I neglect to bring it to the living water, and yet still I find that God is working, working miracles where I don't see or expect, and I sit in awe at what God is doing and what He can do. This morning I'm struck by his faithful, steadfast miracle work, even when I am neglectful. God, help me to be thankful...

No comments:

Post a Comment