Monday, December 3, 2012

1st Sunday of Advent: Peace

Yesterday was one of those perfect days where time just seems to stand still.  I marvel at the irony of how quickly our time fills up as we enter the season of advent, the season of making room, of getting ready, of preparing the way for the Christ Child. 

 It frustrates me to no end that there is no "very official advent candle order" list. It seems like each person has their own personal order and each year it changes and each church lights each candle to represent a different theme at a different time.  People don't even seem to use the same four themes.  Quite frankly I wish there was one right order that was universal.  So at church we lit the candle for hope, while we learned about love and this morning the liturgy I read was about peace.  And as I reflect on my perfect first Sunday of advent I think that peace sums it up perfectly.

In the morning we celebrated communion representing peace with Christ and peace with each other. The afternoon was spent in the unhurried trance of decorating the Christmas tree, icing cookies, reconciling with a friend, working on a puzzle, drawing names for a gift exchange and all the laughter of good friends who have become family. And quietly, all bundled up in blankets, sipping hot tea Linus reminds us what Christmas is all about..."Peace on Earth".  That wonderful mystery peace that changed everything. That now we are no longer foreigners and strangers, but adopted children into the family of God, which is an invitation for all people everywhere.  That now we no longer have to live in isolation or alone-ness, but now through Christ, who is our peace, we are made alive in the family of God....together.  I feel an overwhelming sense of joy as I taste the peace Christ offers me. 

He is my peace. He is your peace. He is our peace. And may we be filled with peace of Christ which surpasses all of our understanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment